<span class="highlight">best</span> <span class="highlight">time</span> for Cape York next year?

We are heading up to the Cape next year, we have around four months available. Initially our thoughts were to leave at the beginning of July, ending up in FNQ around August. After reading recent posts (and other forums) I'm beginning to think leaving a month later might be a better idea, in terms of crowding at camp sites and general access. We are flexible and can leave from beginning of July to the end of September.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers,

Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CSeaJay - Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:56

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:56
Mark,

You will get many different replies. Luckily you have the luxury of time.
Personally I like to go as soon as the roads open; The wet cleaned everything, it is fresh and in its best state (personal view) and all streams and rivers running well.
But unfortunately this often coincides with school holidays specially if the roads open late.

Others like to go later in the season to avoid school holidays, but unfortunately it gets hotter, the streams are low, and you have the leftovers (rubbish) at some campsites from those less considerate

But one thing is for sure, you will enjoy it either way!

CJ
AnswerID: 498426

Reply By: Mark T6 - Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012 at 17:47

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012 at 17:47
Hi Mark

I was there this year late July to 2nd week of August, post school holidays.

For's

MUCH quieter than during School Holidays....most camp sites relativly empty.

Water not as high (if doing the Old Tele)....no worries for an old fart like me but we didn't do Nolans Brook, as even then there we still vehicles getting swamped.

Weather is ideal, not at all humid and whilst we did get to 34 at the tip still not that hot.

Against's

Road conditions are worse later in the year, the later you go the worse they are (remember the graders come in early in the year as soon as the wet is over).

For me (and well past having kids) I avoid anywhere at school holiday time like the plague...so that for me is the biggest decision to make.

Hope that helps

AnswerID: 498441

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 15, 2012 at 08:58

Thursday, Nov 15, 2012 at 08:58
Same here but in 2010. Nolans at that time in 2010 was over 1M deep. No worries for our three 4.3TD's but the smaller ustes were getting swamped.

As said above in summary;

The earlier after its open the cleaner and cooler the place is but the rivers and creeks will be deeper.

Phil
FollowupID: 774528

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Wednesday, Nov 14, 2012 at 09:19

Wednesday, Nov 14, 2012 at 09:19
Thanks for the replies. I'm planning to go slow, so is the difference in road conditions later in the season so bad it will preclude getting in to some places?

My main reason for going later is to avoid the problems with booking camp sites. Have people found issues with not getting into sites which they have pre-booked with Parks?

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 498475

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Wednesday, Nov 14, 2012 at 10:51

Wednesday, Nov 14, 2012 at 10:51
Mark,

Road conditions will not preclude you for going places:
1) The bypass roads will be more corrugated/chopped up. So you will do 70km/hr rather than 90km/hr in the good places or 40km/hr rather than 60km/hr in the bad places. Thats all.
2) The telegraph track gets easier; less water in the crossings, chicken runs created, etc.
FollowupID: 774465

Follow Up By: Mark T6 - Wednesday, Nov 14, 2012 at 12:03

Wednesday, Nov 14, 2012 at 12:03
Agree with that, the roads are certainly more corrugated (much more so just after the School Holiday period) but the Tele Track does get easy....we went through it this year (with the exception of Nolans Brook) and you could almost take an AWD SUV thrrough...I did say almost, Palm Creek would sort one of those out (but there's a bypass around there anyway).

I was talking to an old timer in a Caravan who (so he reckoned) goes up in May each year and stays 3 months...said he's been doing it for 25 years..had an old 80 series cruiser, very old Caravan and a boat on top so no reason to think he was spinning BS and he said same every year...smooth as a baby's bum on the way up, and shakes the S..t out of you on the way back.
FollowupID: 774476

Follow Up By: Member - GregK5202 Qld - Wednesday, Nov 14, 2012 at 14:17

Wednesday, Nov 14, 2012 at 14:17
Went up in 10th October this year. Stayed on the developmental road all the way as we needed to get there in a hurry. We had two weeks there fishing and hunting then had to rush home. Up in the tip most of the roads were very good, just graded. The worst we experienced was the road to Mutee Head, bad corrugations. A 5300 km round trip and it all went well.
FollowupID: 774485

Follow Up By: Mark T6 - Wednesday, Nov 14, 2012 at 14:22

Wednesday, Nov 14, 2012 at 14:22
Wow what a fish!!

There were graders on a new section of the PDR (or may have been the Bamaga Road), but otherwise the corrugations were...just that corrugations.

The worst sectionwe encountered was Bamaga to the Tip and back..the rest pretty manageable.
FollowupID: 774486

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Thursday, Nov 15, 2012 at 07:41

Thursday, Nov 15, 2012 at 07:41
Sounds like I'm better off leaving later. Thanks to all for the replies. Another decision made.

Now I have to work on my fishing skills...
I want that fish! Beautiful catch.

Cheers,
Mark
FollowupID: 774525

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 15, 2012 at 16:33

Thursday, Nov 15, 2012 at 16:33
Our son caught this 1.2M GT off Seissa on our 2010 "family convoy" trip to the Cape.

We went fishing with this bloke; John Charlton's Cape York Adventures

Phil

FollowupID: 774576

Follow Up By: DeepThought65 - Tuesday, Dec 04, 2012 at 16:24

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2012 at 16:24
Hey there,
The wife and I are planning the same trip although we don't have the luxury of the long stay, only 2-3 weeks. We will head up late July from the Sunshine Coast and will be meeting up with her sister and husband on the way up, then travelling to the top together. Not planning on killing ourselves on the Old Telegraph track but still plan on doing side trips back out to coastal spots on the way. Maybe we can get a convoy going if your interested, safety in numbers and all that.

Larry.
FollowupID: 775770

Follow Up By: Member - GregK5202 Qld - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 09:26

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2012 at 09:26
Hi Larry,

I don't know if you know, but there is an $88 barge fee over the Jardine river. That fee also allows you to camp north of the Jardine on aboriginal land for months. Just find a nice spot away from the communities and set yourself up.

Greg.
FollowupID: 775806

Follow Up By: DeepThought65 - Monday, Dec 10, 2012 at 21:57

Monday, Dec 10, 2012 at 21:57
Greg,
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that.
FollowupID: 776140

Sponsored Links